We hope you are continuing to be cautious and healthy. We are reporting on two significant topics today: The first is an update of matters related to the Coronavirus pandemic, and the second concerns the upcoming Primary Election.
Today we have some good news.
We reported recently that progress is being made in our fight against the pandemic. Today Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that the Mid-Hudson Valley, the region that Ulster County is part of, is on track to meet all seven metrics required to begin phase one of the state’s regional phased reopening plan. Starting Tuesday, May 26th activities that may resume include construction; manufacturing and wholesale supply chain; agriculture, forestry and fishing; and retail for curbside pickup and drop-off or in-store pickup. This last category, retail trade, applies to the following businesses:
- Clothing Stores
- Direct Selling Establishments
- Electronics and Appliance Stores
- Electronic Shopping and Mail-Order Houses
- Furniture and Home Furnishing Stores
- General Merchandise Stores
- Health and Personal Care Stores
- , Luggage, and Leather Goods Stores
- Lawn and Garden Equipment and Supplies Stores
- Office Supplies, Stationery, and Gift Stores
- Used Merchandise Stores
- Shoe Stores
- Sporting Goods, Hobby, Musical Instrument and Book Stores
- Other Miscellaneous Store Retailers
It is important to note that this does not change the requirements for physical distancing, wearing of facemasks, and hygiene and cleaning. Furthermore, retail establishments must control crowding to no more than 50% capacity. Further guidance can be found at https://forward.ny.gov/industries-reopening-phase
This is an achievement that could not have been made without our community’s cooperation and all should be proud. By continuing to use appropriate caution, compassion and care, we can gradually come out of this..
For a host of other useful information during these times, we have compiled, and continue to update, a list of contacts and phone numbers. To access them, click on the hypertext below.
- SDC COVID Response Info: This document includes opportunities to support our community in many ways. https://docs.google.com/document/d/13J_-GEvh78B8AfIHNvu9B_22YEi1g94nuJJgxvv5k1k/edit?usp=sharing
- Important Numbers and Info: This includes key websites and phones numbers that may be useful during this crisis. https://docs.google.com/document/d/10PsvWBo9VT4AZVe7g6orbQySMVCJq7DGa4Jb-ThNo9k/edit?usp=sharing
There are two significant facts to report regarding the upcoming Primary election.
First, there will be a Democratic Presidential Primary election. New York State had tried to cancel it, but a lawsuit brought by Andrew Yang and others claiming it deprived voters of their constitutional rights was upheld and the Presidential Primary is now back on. In addition, voters will have the opportunity to vote in local elections. We have been providing information about our Saugerties Democratic Committee candidates in previous emails. Please don’t hesitate to ask if you wish more on that.
Second, because of the steps needed to keep voters safe during the pandemic, an Executive Order has been issued by the Governor permitting voting by mail. Very soon, you will receive an Application for Absentee Ballot. When that is completed by you and returned, the Board of Elections will mail your ballot to you. (Those who have already applied need not apply again). You may then vote by mail as soon as you wish. For those wishing to vote in person, polling stations will be open on June 23; however, details on which stations will be open are not yet available. We will try to keep you advised as we get that information.
Several local restaurants in our area are offering meals to go and curbside pickup. The list below are the restaurants that we are aware of presently and we apologize if we have left someone out. Please support these businesses, if you can.
· Bun’s Burgers—Take Out; 845-250-5807
· Dutch Ale House– Curbside Pickup, Online Ordering (Door Dash & Grub Hub), Delivery; 845-247-2337
· Healthy Gourmet to Go—Take Out, Curbside Pickup; 914-388-2162; Mon & Tues
· Miss Lucy’s—Take Out, Curbside Pickup & Delivery; 845-246-9240; Wed-Sun 12-8pm
· Total Tennis—Curbside Pickup; Wed & Sat; 845-247-9177
· Hudson Valley Dessert Company–Delivery on Mondays and Take Out every day 8-6; 845-246-1545
· Sue’s Restaurant–845-246-3737 Curbside and Takeout
· Olsen and Co.–845-247-7189 (They also have meats for sale)
· Village Pizza–845-246-3103
· Slices (Pizza)–845-247-3966 Open daily, curbside and delivery only
· El Rancho–845-246-2797 Takeout Dinner